Librarian. Tattooed Momma of Two. Flexi-vegan. Sriracha Lovin'. LA Livin'.
Vegan Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
I slightly modified the recipe used in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Recipe as follows.
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
1 cup coconut milk (the kind in the carton with the other non-dairy “milks”)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 coarsely chopped vegan cookies such as Newman’s O’s or Oreos
6 cookies cut in half for topping/decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Whisk together the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Wait a few minutes to let curdle.
3. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla to coconut milk and beat until foamy.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain.
5. Fold in chopped cookies and pour into liners, filling 3/4 full. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.
Once cool, frost generously, and top with half a cookie.
1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine (like Earth Balance)
3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut milk (the kind in the carton with the other non-dairy “milks”)
12 coarsely chopped vegan cookies such as Newman’s O’s or Oreos
1. Beat margarine and shortening until well-combined and fluffy.
2. Add sugar and beat for 3 more minutes.
3. Add the vanilla and milk, beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
4. Fold in chopped cookies until well combined.